In 1824, the community now known as Yazoo City was founded. Originally the city was named Hannan’s Bluff and later renamed to Manchester. It was changed to Yazoo City in 1841, named after the Yazoo River. Yazoo City is located 40 miles northwest of Jackson, Mississippi at the junctions of U.S. Routes 49, 49E, and 49W, and MS Highways 3, 16, and 149, on the banks of the Yazoo River, near the Panther Swamp National Wildlife Refuge.
Yazoo City is also known as the “Gateway to the Delta” due to its location on the transition between the two great landforms that characterize the geography of Mississippi (the western part of the city lies in the Mississippi Delta and the eastern part lies in the loess bluffs that characterize most of eastern Mississippi).